MAINZ, Germany — Call it a stimulating study-abroad experience. An American exchange student sparked an “extraordinary rescue mission” when his leg became trapped inside a giant vagina sculpture. “It was a dare,” fire department squad leader Markus Mozer told NBC News. “The young man had tried to pose for an unusual photo and climbed into the artwork.”
A total of 22 rescue workers with special equipment were deployed to the scene in the southern Germany city of Tuebingen on Friday to free the 20-year-old but a “forceps delivery was not necessary,” local newspaper Schwaebisches Tagblatt noted. “We were able to pull the victim out with our bare hands after about 30 minutes,” Mozer added. The six-foot replica of female genitalia was installed 13 years ago outside the microbiology and virology department of the city’s university clinic. It is worth nearly $200,000. —nbcnews
1. Given your own personal experiences with (a) sex, (b) alcohol, (c) inanimate objects, (d) European vacations, (e) police, or any combination of these, can you relate to this incident? If not, would you like to? Explain in vivid detail.
2. The sculpture is approximately 13 years old. Does that fact make this man a sex offender? Why or why not?
3. What do you suppose was the dare that inspired the student to try this? What dare would you offer to get a friend to try this? What dare would tempt you to try this?
4. Does this incident remind you of Gulliver’s Travels? If so, do you think first of Lilliputians or Brobdingnagians? Do you suppose your choice relates to your own gender? Discuss.
5. Would “Crack Addict” be a better headline for this blog post? Suggest alternatives.